Applying for planning permission and prior approvals

Find out how to apply, how much it costs, what information you need to submit, how we can help you with your application and how you can amend or renew your application.

Choose the right application form
'Householder' planning permission application

If you require planning permission to make alterations or extend your home, then you will need the 'Householder' application form.

Find out what you need to submit and how to apply.

'Full plans' planning permission application

If you need to demolish and/or build a new home you will need the 'Full' application form.

You should also use this application form to make a detailed planning application for development, excluding householder developments. For the purposes of this form, development includes building, engineering or other works, in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land. As such it should be used for:

  • any works relating to a flat
  • applications to change the number of dwellings (flat conversions, building a separate house in the garden)
  • changes of use to part or all of the property to non-residential (including business) uses
  • anything outside the garden of the property (including stables if in a separate paddock).

Find out what you need to submit and how to apply.

Prior approval for a single storey rear extension

If you've already determined that your single storey rear extension is classed as a 'permitted development' and does not need planning permission, you can apply for 'prior approval' from us to build it.

This is so we can inform your neighbours who you share a boundary with and allow them to object to your plans if they oppose them.

What you need to submit

Take a look at the information you will need before submitting your application:

Sizes and description

A written description of the proposed development including:

  • how far the planned extension extends beyond the rear wall of the original house (the original house is as it was first built, without any extension)
  • the maximum height of the planned extension
  • the height of the eaves of the planned extension

Three plan drawings

These should be as follows:

  • a site plan at a scale of 1:1250 showing the dwelling and its curtilage with adjoining properties (any property sharing a boundary with your house)

    Example plan showing adjoining properties (pdf 110kb)

  • a block plan (with a scale bar) to a scale of 1:100 or 1:200 indicating the proposed extension in relation to the existing (and if different, the original) dwellinghouse and the relationship to boundaries
  • external elevations of the proposed extension to a scale of 1:50 or 1:100

    Example plan showing external elevations (pdf 56kb)

Addresses and contact details

These will include:

  • the address(es) of any adjoining premises
  • your contact details
  • your email address


The cost for this service is £96. In certain circumstances you may be eligible for a fee exemption, meaning you don't have to pay, due to a disability or due to a planning application you've already submitted for the project.

Fee exemption - disability

You will not have to pay the £96 fee if the prior approval application is solely for the alteration or extension of an existing dwelling for the purpose of:

  • providing means of access to or within a dwelling for a disabled person, or
  • providing facilities designed to secure a disabled person's greater safety, health or comfort

The disabled person must be resident in the dwelling or be proposing to take up residence in it.

You will be required to upload evidence to support the fee exemption.

Fee exemption - already submitted a planning application

You will not have to pay the £96 fee if you have already submitted a planning application and paid a fee. This prior approval application and the planning permission application must be:

  • for the same site, buildings or land, and
  • made by the same applicant, and
  • made on the same date

What happens next

The council will write to your immediate neighbours whose addresses were listed in the application form, inform them that you have submitted a planning application and signpost them to the Public Access website where they can view the application or make a comment. Following this consultation, if:

  • no objections are made within 21* days, we will inform you that the development can proceed
  • objections are received within 21* days, we will consider your proposals and inform you whether your development can go ahead
  • you do not receive any notification within 42 days of the date your application was classed as 'valid', the development can go ahead
  • we refuse to allow the development, you can submit an appeal.

Please note: *21 days is the standard consultation period. However, if this period includes bank holidays, the consultation period will be extended by the number of bank holidays.

Apply for prior approval

Apply for prior approval to build your single storey rear extension

'Other' applications

The Planning Portal also provides access to other application forms that may be required such as listed building consent, works to trees and hedgerow removal, advertisement consent, lawful development certificates, approval to discharge conditions and applications for non-material amendments.

Read more about different types of planning applications on the Planning Portal website.

Find out how to apply and pay for planning permission below.

Still not sure? We can help...

The rules around whether something needs planning permission and what type of application you need is very complex, so why not let us help you figure it out?

We will also tell you whether building control regulations will apply.

Find out how we can help

What information you need to submit

'Householder' application

Location plan

You must provide a location plan (with a scale bar) based on an up-to-date map at a scale of 1:1000 or 1:1250 or 1:2500, (an Ordnance Survey Base Map is preferred):

  • The plan should show named roads (at least two are preferred to identify the location, but if other features are present, eg railway lines or public buildings, then a single road may suffice), and, where they exist, surrounding buildings.

  • It should also have on it a clearly marked north point and the scale to which it is drawn.

  • The adjacent properties shown should be suitably numbered or named to ensure that the exact location of the application site is clear. You may need to provide an additional plan of a larger area if your house is in a remote location without clearly identifiable nearby features.

  • You must draw a red line around the application site to define it. Normally this will be the boundary of your house and garden, but if the house is served by a private drive from the highway then this should be included in the red edge up to the public highway. If your proposed extension is onto land currently in another person's ownership the red line must include all the required land even if it is separately owned (in which case you will need to serve formal notice on the owner and submit Certificate B).

  • You must also draw a blue line around any other land you own, eg a paddock or field adjoining or close to the application site.

Ordnance Survey maps

All planning applications need to have site plans which are edged in red to identify the extent of the planning application site. A site plan must be on an Ordnance Survey base map.

Ordnance Survey Maps can be obtained in person from some East Riding Libraries and Customer Service Centres who offer a face-to-face service, fully assisted by our professional staff. Cash, cheque or card payment options are available and maps can be produced in PDF form or printed to take away with you.

Currently available at Beverley Library, Driffield Centre, Hedon Centre, Haltemprice Library and Customer Services and Pocklington Pocela Centre.

Ordnance Survey location plans

OS maps can also be obtained from the Planning Portal:

Buy Ordnance survey maps on the Planning Portal website

Site plan

You must submit a site plan (also sometimes described as a block plan) (with a scale bar) at a scale of 1:500, 1:200 or 1:100. The plan must accurately show:

  • The direction of North and the scale of the plan.

  • The proposed development site;in relation to the existing building, site boundaries and any other existing buildings on the site.

  • The position of buildings on land adjoining the site should be included to a degree sufficient to make clear the relationship of the proposed development to the existing neighbouring properties. (This element of the plan may be based on Ordnance Survey information, but should be adjusted to show any significant changes - for example an extension on a neighbouring property that brings it closer to the application site).

  • Any public rights of way or water course crossing or adjoining the site.

  • The position and crown spread of all trees must be shown on the plan where construction operations1 are within a distance of 15metres from the trunk of a tree. This includes trees within or adjacent to the application site. If you consider that your proposal will not affect any trees within this distance, please indicate this.

  • The extent and type of any proposed hard surfacing including parking and access roads where this is part of your proposal.

  • Details of existing and any proposed new boundary treatment (with a note of heights) including walls or fencing.

  • Planting and landscaping proposals if relevant

  • It is helpful to include key dimensions, such as length, width and height of new buildings, heights to main windows and distances between new works and site boundaries, but these should supplement, not replace, an accurately scaled plan.

Roof plan

Where the roof construction is complex a roof plan (with a scale bar) should be included in the plans. This can be at a smaller scale than the floor plans and elevation drawings, but should not normally be less than 1:200:

  • Your drawings should clearly show the shape of the proposed roof (identifying changes from its existing shape where appropriate by providing existing and proposed versions)

  • They should include details of materials and the location and design of chimneys, vents and any other features consistent with the submitted elevations.

Existing and proposed floor plans

You must submit drawings (with a scale bar) to a scale of 1:50 or 1:100:

  • You must show all floors of the proposed development, including attics and basements.

  • Where existing buildings or structures are being altered or extended, you may limit the extent of the floor plans to the new work and the immediately adjacent existing accommodation so long as you clearly distinguish between existing and proposed floor plans.

  • Your drawings should clearly indicate where existing buildings, parts of buildings, other structures and/or individual walls are to be demolished.

  • Please note: if your application is for a 'granny annex', full floor plans must be submitted.

The drawings should be sufficient to illustrate the proposal in detail.

Existing and proposed elevations

Your elevations should be drawn to a scale of 1:50 or 1:100 (with a scale bar):

  • Where alterations to an existing building are proposed, your drawings must show both existing and proposed elevations and must clearly distinguish between the two.

  • If your proposal is for a new outbuilding or garage, drawings of all elevations should be provided including any blank elevations.

  • You must indicate the proposed building materials (particularly where a mixture of materials is proposed) and detail the style, materials and openings of all windows and doors.

You are advised to check closely that the elevations are consistent with the floor plans before submission.

Existing and proposed site sections and finished floor and site levels

For house extensions it will normally be unnecessary to provide levels or cross sections, unless the extension is to be built to a different finished floor level or extends out over a significant fall in the existing ground level. Where there is a change in levels of more than 0.5 metres (including where proposals excavate 0.5m as well as any increase) you must provide:

  • An illustrative drawing(s) to show both existing and finished levels. These should include details of foundations and eaves and clearly demonstrate that there will be no encroachment onto land outside the application site.

  • Plan(s) to demonstrate how the proposed evelopment relates to existing site levels and neighbouring development. This should show existing site levels and finished floor levels (with levels related to an ordnance datum point off site) and also show levels in relation to adjoining land or buildings.

Cross-section(s) through the proposed works may be required where changes in levels will directly affect neighbouring properties and land. The cross-section(s) should be drawn to the same scale as the elevations.

In cases where roof lights are proposed, a cross-section should be provided to illustrate their position in relation to existing or proposed floor levels.

Supporting documents for special circumstances

For 'Householder' applications (extensions and home alterations) it should not normally be necessary to provide 'supporting documents', unless any of the special circumstances below apply:

Biodiversity Survey and Report - Item G in validation checklist

This is only likely to be necessary for a householder application if it is known that there are any protected species present on site. This could occur if the extension is to be built over a pond that is used by Great Crested Newts, or if the proposal requires work to a roof that is the home of bats or barn owls.

Flood Risk Assessment - Item H in validation checklist

If the extension is in a Flood Risk area, you should provide a brief Flood Risk assessment as outlined in checklist, but if this is not provided our validation staff will assist you by providing a simple matrix for you to complete to ensure that standing advice from the Environment Agency is followed.

Heritage Statement - Item J in validation checklist

This will only be required for a listed building (and should be the same as that submitted with the application for listed building consent).

Tree Survey and Assessment - Item R in validation checklist

A tree survey will be required if the proposed extension will be within 15 metres of a tree with a diameter of 75mm or above measured at 1.5m above ground level. If the alterations do not require any below ground work (eg if the proposal is only for adding dormer windows) then simply show the tree(s) on the plan and indicate why the tree(s) will not be affected by the work.

The council has prepared the following guide which should be consulted if you believe any do apply:

Validation Checklist August 2021 (pdf 14.9mb)

'Full Plans' application

Validation checklist

Use the validation checklist to help you determine whether you have supplied the required information with your application:

Validation Checklist August 2021 (pdf 14.9mb)

Design and access statements

Certain types of application need to be accompanied by a design and access statement. Read about which applications require a statement and what information it should include:

Design and access statement (pdf 41kb)

Ordnance Survey Maps

All planning applications need to have site plans which are edged in red to identify the extent of the planning application site. A site plan must be on an Ordnance Survey base map.

Buy Ordnance survey maps on the Planning Portal website

You can also obtain Ordnance Survey Maps by visiting the Beverley Library, where maps suitable for planning and building regulation applications can be produced, adapted and printed. This digital service is fully assisted by our professional library staff and cash or card payment options are available.

Currently available at Beverley Library with more locations coming soon.

Call (01482) 392750 for further information.

Ordnance Survey location plans

Prior approval for a single storey rear extension

Size and description

A written description of the proposed development including:

  • how far the planned extension extends beyond the rear wall of the original house (the original house is as it was first built, without any extension)
  • the maximum height of the planned extension
  • the height of the eaves of the planned extension

Three plan drawings

These should be as follows:

Addresses and contact details

These will include:

  • The address(es) of any adjoining premises
  • Your contact details
  • Your email address


The cost depends on the type of application you need to submit:

Please note:

For alterations and extensions

For householder alterations and extrensions that require planning permision, you will need to submit the 'Householder application' which currently costs £206. The fee will be confirmed during the application process.

For new builds and all other proposed works

If you need to demolish and/or build a new home you will need the 'Full application' form and the cost will vary depending on the work you wish to carry out. The fee will be determined during the application process based on the information given. The fee calculator below may help you work it out.

Complete fee list

View a full list of planning fees for all types of proposals including prior approvals, change of use, pre-application advice, as well as exemptions from payment.

Apply and make payments

Apply and pay for a new application

It's much easier to apply online:

  • quick and user-friendly system
  • helps you choose the correct form
  • step-by-step help and advice
  • save your work and take a break
  • attach plans and drawings
  • a faster turnaround as the application is sent to the council immediately.

Please note: this is the council's preferred method of payment as we can only begin to assess your application once full payment is received.

Apply for planning permission on the Planning Portal website

Pay for an application which has already been submitted

If your application has already been submitted but not paid for, either yourself or by an agent, you can pay for them here:

Pay for an application which has already been submitted

Pay for additional planning fees

If you've already made an application, but we have told you that additional costs will apply due to the nature of your project, you can pay for them here:

Pay for additional planning services

By paper form

If you'd prefer to submit a paper application, the Planning Portal website has all the necessary forms and help notes you may need:

Find and print a paper application form on the Planning Portal website

Submitting your paper form

Once completed, you can take the application form and accompanying plans to any customer service centre or post them to us at:

Planning and development management team
Cross Street
County Hall
HU17 9BA.

Payment with your paper form

  • Phone: by debit or credit card by calling (01482) 393647 during office hours

    Please note: wait a couple of days before calling to ensure the application has been received and loaded into the system. We can only begin to assess your application once full payment is received.

Altering your application

When permission is granted it is subject to a condition that building works should be carried out in accordance with approved plans.

If you wish to make amendments during the course of the application process, you will need to discuss this with the case officer who dealt with your application. Their contact details will have been provided to you previously.

Common application mistakes

There is a wide range of reasons as to why a planning application may be made invalid which can result in delays to the process. The list below details the most common reasons why some applications are made invalid. Paying attention to these common issues and avoiding them may result in your application being processed more smoothly.

Most common reasons for planning applications being made invalid:

  • Inaccurate or incomplete plans and information

  • Block plan and elevation plan views do not correlate (e.g. doors/windows not showing on both or in contradicting locations).

  • Floor plan and elevation plan do not correlate (e.g. doors/windows not showing on both)

  • Plans submitted are not to scale i.e. plan showing 1:200, however, when measured shows 1:100

  • Plans do not include a scale bar at all - all plans must include a scale bar

  • Discrepancies as to where/when to draw red and blue lines around sites or boundaries

  • Location Plans - no red line around the site at all

  • Electronic plans are not saved and submitted as shown on the scale stated - when printed out they may print in A3 rather than A0 - plans must be saved to the correct scale and this must be correctly stated on the document.

  • Read more about what you need to include for householder applications and full applications
  • Take a look at our plan drawing and submission guidance.

Planning applications are public documents and will be published on the council's website so that interested parties can properly consider an application and decide whether they wish to comment.

If you want to submit supporting information with your application that you do not wish to be published, then this must be submitted as a separate document and clearly labelled 'confidential information'.

The council will normally only accept confidential information in the following circumstances:

  • When financial information is submitted as part of a housing viability assessment
  • When financial information is submitted in support of an application for a dwelling in the countryside
  • When personal information relating to a disability or medical problem is submitted to justify an application
  • when personal and financial information is submitted as evidence to support an application for a Certificate of Lawful Development

In all cases, you will need to refer to and summarise the submitted confidential information in your application so that members of the public know that you are asking the council to take this information into account.

Help with your application
Plan drawing advice

If you are comfortable drawing your own plans, you can do so. Please note however, if they are incorrect, this will delay the planning process.

Document size and format
  • All plans, drawings and supporting documents must be submitted as pdf or Microsoft Word
  • Photographs can be submitted as jpg, png, pdf, doc or docx
  • Each file should be no larger than 10MB in siz
  • Please do not submit exe files or zip files. We cannot accept these as they may mask a virus and will be blocked by firewalls
  • We are unable to accept CAD files or dwg files - you are able to export any CAD drawing into a pdf format from within the software or you can use any pdf conversion software readily available online

The Planning Portal website has some tips on reducing file sizes

Drawing guidance

Only use colour where necessary:

  • Blocks of colour or texture can appear as black or details picked out in colour may be lost
  • Please ensure a high-contrast image is created otherwise the drawing often looks poor when scanned
  • Some colour combinations that look effective on screen do not necessarily work well on a printed copy such as yellow on white
  • Avoid the use of colour to show contrast - use hatched lines rather than grey shading
  • Details of what colour to use for marking site boundaries on locations plans etc. can be found on our plan guidance webpage
Document properties
  • Documents should default to their intended size when printing - the size and scale should be indicated (i.e. 1:100 at A1) and a scale bar present
  • Please make sure all documents are correctly orientated for on-screen display
  • Consider the resolution you use - 200dpi is normally adequate for black and white drawings
  • All documents should be a standard metric size, e.g. A4, A3, A2 etc. For the benefit of parish councils and the public, A3 or A4 would be the preferred sizes for ease of viewing and download
  • Those who have attempted to open A0-sized documents on mobile devices, including tablets, have reported having difficulty so we recommend where possible to use a desktop or laptop computer

You can see examples of plans which have been submitted by other people and accepted, on the Public Access planning website:

View planning applications on Public Access

Professional plan drawing

If you don't want to draw your own plans you should ask a plan drawer or architect to do these for you.

Please note: The council cannot recommend specific agents to draw plans for you, but your builder will probably be able to recommend one for you, or you can find one through a search engine or telephone directory under 'architects' or 'architectural services'.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.