Financial support information for residents

Find out about financial help available to for residents.

As the winter months are upon us, we want to tell you about help available to residents, which could ease some financial pressures.

What financial help are you eligible to?

The best way to find out is to use the council’s online benefit calculator:

Benefits calculator

If you need support to make an application, call us on (01482) 393939.

What is the new Household Support Fund?

Information about the Household Support Fund has moved to a new page:

Read about the Household Support Fund and how to apply

Are you having difficulty in paying your rent or council tax?

The first thing you need to do is let us know so we can help you, call us on (01482) 393939.

We have a dedicated Welfare Team who can help with even the most complex situations, who can make sure you are receiving all of your entitlements. 

To speak to one of our advisors email benefit.takeup@eastriding.gov.uk and ask for an appointment.

Council Tax Reductions

There are many discounts and exemptions that can be applied to Council Tax. To find out if they are entitled to a discount or exemption on council tax visit:

East Riding Council Tax

Where can I get emergency assistance - help with food and utilities?

The council’s emergency assistance scheme can help residents with food and gas/electricity and other essential items.

For more information go to Emergency assistance.

What is the Warm Homes Discount Scheme?

If you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit or you are on a low income, you could get a one-off payment of £140 off your electricity bill for

winter 2021 to 2022.

To find out more and how to apply visit:

GOV.UK - Warm Home Discount Scheme (external website)

Please note: this is not the council’s scheme.

Can I get help with rent and council tax?

Residents might be entitled to help towards rent and council tax if they are on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings.

For more details go to the Benefits section if you  need support to make an application, or call us on (01482) 393939.

Can I get free school meals?

Many families with children at school will be entitled to free school meals for their children. 

For more information and how to apply visit Free school meals.

Can I get help paying water bills?

WaterSure is a scheme which helps some people with their water bills, but they must be on benefits and need to use a lot of water either for medical reasons or because their household  has a certain number of school-age children.

To find out more visit your water supplier's website.

Please note: this is not the council’s scheme.

How can Universal Credit help me?

Universal Credit is a payment to help with living costs. It is paid monthly.

For more information and how to apply visit:

Universal Credit (external website)

Where can I get independent financial help?

There are a range of free, independent, financial advice providers, who will give you guidance and support independent from the council. For more information visit the Welfare Visiting team.

You could also seek help from other organisations that provide financial advice.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.