What happens if you do not pay your rent

Find out why you may have received a reminder notice, notice seeking possession or eviction notice.

If you do not keep up payments on your council house rent, you may be at risk of losing your home. Please call us on (01482) 393939 if you are struggling with your payments. 

What happens if I do not pay my rent?

If you do not pay your rent we will follow our recovery procedures and you are at risk of losing your tenancy and may incur additional costs.

We will send you recovery notices if your account is in arrears asking you to make contact with the rent team to make payment or a payment arrangement on your arrears.

Why am I in arrears?

If you have missed a payment or your housing benefit or universal credit has been changed, this will increase the rent you need to pay. You will have received a letter from the council to advise you of your revised payments.

To stop further recovery action, you must bring your account up-to-date or make a payment arrangement.

Please contact us on (01482) 393939 to make an arrangement or email rents@eastriding.gov.uk, or you can bring your account up-to-date today.

Can I set up an arrangement on my rent?

We can help you set up a manageable payment plan to make sure you don’t fall behind with your rent.

Contact us on (01482) 393939 to set this up today. 

Why did the council apply to the Department for Work and Pensions for my rent and/or arrears deductions to be paid directly from my Universal Credit to the council?

If your rent account is more than 8 weeks in arrears, we can apply to the Department for Work and Pensions to have the housing element of your Universal Credit payment and arrears deductions to be paid direct to the council.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.