Before applying for a private hire operator's (PHO) licence, you should read the private hire and taxi services policy (below).
Private hire and taxi services licensing policy (word 1.8mb)
A PHO licensed by East Riding of Yorkshire Council can only use drivers and vehicles who are also licensed by East Riding of Yorkshire Council:
Apply online for a new private hire operators licence
To apply for a PHO licence, you will need to submit the following:
- Firstly, you must email a completed business plan to the following email address, email@example.com (once received, an officer will contact you and advise you to complete the online form above)
- A complete application form for a Private Hire Operator's Licence
- A basic criminal disclosure certificate for each applicant (for partnership or company this will include a criminal disclosure check on all partners and directors of the company). The DBS check must be no older than eight weeks at the point of application. you can apply for a basic criminal record check online. For foreign nationals, a certificate of good conduct from the relevant embassy is required if you have been living in the United Kingdom for less than ten years
Basic Criminal Disclosure (external website)
- Or if you are an existing licensed driver with the East Riding, you can consent to the use of your DBS online subscription service being checked in replacement for a basic Police check Consent to use DBS update service for private hire operators application (word 15kb)
- Public liability insurance and employers liability insurance where relevant (only applicable if you are applying for a public office or you are employing staff)
- Two references for each applicant, from professional persons who have known you at least two years, one must be a financial reference to the applicant's suitability to run a private hire operators business from an accountant, solicitor or bank/building society manager
- A declaration confirming that you have read the HMRC guidance regarding your obligations to register for tax payable on earning form your licensed tradeTax Conditionality Declaration Form (pdf 112.kb)
- or if you have held a Private Hire Operators licence within the last 12 months a tax check code:
GOV.UK - Complete a tax check for a taxi private hire or scrap metal licence (external website)
Incomplete applications will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant. Please note we cannot accept photocopies of your documents unless they have been certified at an East Riding customer service centre.
Please note once a complete application is received it may take up to ten working days for your licence to be issued or the matter may be referred to the Licensing Committee for determination.
You must operate at all times in compliance with the private hire operator licence conditions as below:
Private hire operators licence conditions (pdf 184kb)
Does tacit consent apply?
A tacit consent does not apply to this application, meaning that your licence will not be automatically granted after a specified period of time. Each application must be considered on its own merit, as it in the public interest for reasons of public safety and to consider the fit and proper person test, that the authority must consider your application and make relevant checks before it can be granted.
If you have not heard from the licensing team please contact us:
The target completion date for applications is ten working days.